By Nathasha Nethmini
Senior Adviser to the President Lalith Weeratunga states that the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine manufactured in India under the name ‘Covishield’ will be delivered to Sri Lanka day after (28).
He said that from the 29th of this month, steps will be taken to provide the vaccine to around 300 000 health sector workers as well as Army and Police officers who are actively contributing to the corona eradication program.
He says the second group to be vaccinated is 3.8 million people over the age of 60. He added that the priority would be given to adults suffering from non-communicable diseases.
He said only 65 percent of the country’s population could be vaccinated and the remaining 35 percent including pregnant women, nursing mothers and children will not be vaccinated.
He said that the Ministry of Health has 1050 hospitals to administer the vaccine to 130 lakhs (65 percent) of the population and 950 of them have the best facilities.