A 16-year-old student attending a prominent Tamil school under the Hatton Regional Education Office attempted poisoning this morning (21).
The Watawala police reported that the student was initially taken to Watawala District Hospital and later transferred to Nawalapitiya District General Hospital for further treatment.
The student, Grade 10, claimed to have consumed an insecticidal liquid brought from home, intended for protecting cabbage crops. He informed doctors at Watawala Hospital that he resorted to poisoning due to constant scolding by several teachers, directed not only towards him but also his sister.
The incident came to light when fellow students detected a foul smell and alerted the school faculty, leading to the student’s hospitalization. The Watawala police are currently conducting investigations into the matter.