A Chinese fishing vessel capsized in the central part of the Indian Ocean with 39 people in the early hours of Tuesday foreign media reported. Those reports said that 17 Chinese nationals 17 Indonesians and 05 Filipinos were on board.
All are so far missing and search operations are underway. According to the reports rescue teams from Australia and nearby countries have already reached the area. According to the Navy spokesman Capt. Gayan Wickramasooriya the accident has taken place around 700 Nautical miles away from Galle in the south sea which the ocean area is close to Australia. So far no official request has been made to NAVY for rescue operations he said. However, the NAVY media spokesperson further said that it will take days to reach the Sri Lankan team in the affected area.
Meanwhile, Chinese news agency Xinhua reported that Chinese President Xi Jinping has demanded all-out efforts in the rescue of the missing people after a Chinese deep-sea fishing vessel capsized Tuesday in the central Indian Ocean.
President Xi, also has made the instructions urging relevant departments to activate the emergency response mechanism immediately.
“Xi ordered efforts to further strengthen the investigation and early warning of potential safety risks in deep-sea operations to ensure the safety of life and property. ” Xinhua further reported.