Releasing a statement today former President Maithripala Sirisena had clarified that Sri Lanka never officially received the USD 5 Million donated by the Muslim League to provide relief to victims of the Easter Sunday attacks.
Last week, Rev. Fr. Ramanayakae Lawrence heading the Sethsarana organization told the Presidential Commission of Inquiry to inquire into Easter Sunday Bomb attacks that none of the victims had been given any donation through the money donated and handed over to the Former President Maithripala Sirisena at an event held at the Nelum Pokuna last year.
However, Sirisena said on inquiries the Muslim League had responded that the money was not donated as information requested, mainly, the number that died in the attacks, religions of those who died, list of deaths and injured, the estimated value of property damaged in the attack, number of widows and orphans, other information, account details of President or Prime Ministers Charity Account.
According to Sirisena, therefore, the organization has not donated the money yet to either the Sri Lankan government or any other organization and has ensured it will discuss with the Sri Lankan authorities and expedite the matter. Sirisena denied all claims that the money had been handed over to him at any point.