Preliminary investigations have revealed that the fire that broke out at the Hulftsdorf Supreme court complex in Colombo had spread due to a discarded cigarette butt, a daily newspaper has revealed.
Investigations have begun on CCTV footage to determine if the fire spread after a cigarette was thrown from the next floor used by lawyers or from a cigarette tossed by an employee.
The Government Analyst’s Department has confirmed that the fire which broke out on the evening of December 15 was an accidental fire and not arson.
After the fire brigade brought the fire under control, investigators found four cigarettes amongst the rubble.
It was revealed that the employees of the court complex had used this place to smoke and the officials on the other floors were in the habit of tossing cigarette butts after smoking to this area.
It is reported that there were a number of flammable items including mattresses in this place.
According to the CID, statements have been recorded from about 30 people to confirm whether the fire was caused by a cigarette butt. However all 30 claim they are not smokers the CID said.