Samagi Jana Balawegaya’s (SJB) National list MP Diana Gamage walked into Parliament today right before the taking of the vote on the second reading of the 20th Amendment to the Constitution and voted in favour of the amendment. Earlier in the morning rumours were rife that Gamage was not only going to vote in favour of the government but was also canvassing amongst other MP’s of the opposition to join her.
Accordingly seven other MP’s voted in support of the 20A and the government allowed for the second reading to be passed by a two-thirds majority.
Opposition MPs who voted in favour of the 20A are :
- SJB National List MP Diana Gamage
- Sri Lanka Muslim Congress MP Nazeer Ahamed
- Muslim National Alliance MP Ali Sabry
- Sri Lanka Muslim Congress MP Faizal Caseem
- Sri Lanka Muslim Congress MP HMM Harees
- Sri Lanka Muslim Congress MP MS Thowfeek
- SJB MP/TPA MP Arvind Kumar
- SJB/ACMC MP Ishak Rahman
Meanwhile Former President and Chairman of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) Maithripala Sirisena was absent for the vote.